Our second "Big Hearts, Little Hands" Valentine's Party was in Phoenix for refugee children from Myanmar. They fled the most horrible circumstances and been through things that I never even thought were possible, so we really wanted to give them an extra special, fun, happy day.
There were about 200 kids at the party and 15 kid/parent helpers.
These kids and their families were so humble and sweet, and I just wanted to take them all home with me, their parents included! I loved them instantly. It was so fun watching them eat cotton candy for the first time and experience a bounce house and let them take as much food and prizes as they wanted. They loved the hot dogs and the popcorn, and they loved making bracelets and playing Bingo. They were so nervous to touch the alligator and so happy to decorate sugar cookies. The best part was letting them go through all of the donations we'd collected. They were so excited to fill their bags with toys and clothes. It made me cry, a couple times.
There is just something about happy children that melts your heart like nothing else! I was so proud of all of the little kid helpers who were so sweet and friendly to the other kids, and I was so thankful to their parents for bringing them and helping so much and for everyone who donated TONS of stuff to both parties! I am beyond words grateful to have so many people in my life whose friendships and examples I cherish and whose help and love I rely upon more than they know!
The parties were so much fun, and I think they made my family just as happy as the children we were throwing them for!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment