Monday, April 23, 2012

Happy Days!

We just got a membership to the Arizona Science Center, thanks to Groupon, so we went with our friends! It was so, incredibly FUN!
I love these pictures because I think it's so cute that all of our kids have known each other since they were born! I moved around a lot, so I never really grew up with anyone, and it makes me so glad that my kids have these little friends, and even more buddies not in the picture, that they already have tons of happy memories with! Sheesh, I am sounding so sappy and sentimental, but I just love this picture and all of these kids!
We watched the science show about static electricity. Noelle got to go up on stage because she had light up shoes, and the guy made them light up with her standing still, just by holding some magic electricity wand (I don't really understand science) above her head. It was cool. She was pretty shy up there, but happy with herself when she was finished. The demonstration was pretty interesting, except the scientist guy kept talking about his tesla coil, which made me and Lynnae giggle because if you say tesla coil fast and mumbly, like he did, it sounds like something very different, something that has more to do with the science of anatomy than electricity, if you get my drift.
Speaking of the skeletal system, Hannah and Stanton had fun putting together the bones puzzle. Then they all had fun going down the toot slide and throwing balls into the nose that sneezes on you.
I convinced/forced Winston to lay on the bed of nails. I've done it a million times. it doesn't hurt. He seemed to like it. It was a super exciting visit, and we only got through 2 of the 4 floors in the 3 hours we were there, so we can't wait to go again next time!
Then we had yet another splendid day ay the zoo with friends. Hopefully it stays cool enough for a couple more zoo trips before summer cause me and my little monkeys are big zoo fans.
On Friday we went to the State Capitol. Noelle woke up and told us she was feeling very French that day because of her new Eiffel Tower shirt and because her name means Christmas in French, so she wanted to go to some place fancy. Robert had been telling us about the free museum they have inside the capitol, so we decided to check it out. It was spectacular! We were there for 4 hours, and we had the best time!
Winston even woke up to join us when we got to the Arizona trivia room. Once he woke up, he ran around having the best time. He had filthy, dirty feet to prove it cause oops, I forgot to bring him shoes, but I did bring a diaper. (It's virtually impossible for me to remember to bring both in one day.) Anyway, once the economy gets better, the capitol needs to hire some carpet cleaners.
Then we went in the World War II room and saw all of the artifacts from the USS Arizona. They even had a giant piece from the wreckage of the ship. There was a really solemn feeling in the room. The kids even talked in a whisper, which surprised me cause we were the only ones in there and I hadn't told them to talk quiet. It was a very nice memorial. My favorite part was the Gratitude Train exhibit. After WWII, one man got the idea of sending a few box cars of food to France, since they were so devasted by the war, and Americans ended up donating 700 box cars full of food, clothes, etc. So once France got back on their feet, they sent a "Merci Train" (which stopped in Phoneix) full of their French keepsakes, like dolls, mirrors, books,etc to thank Americans for their generosity. It was the nicest story, and I'd never even heard it, and it just goes to show that one person can have an idea that can make a difference! Plus, I'm French cause my maiden name is Guimont, and I love writing thank you cards, so this was definitely my kind of story!
There were all sorts of other great exhibits too, like this one of Governor Hunt, the first governor who is buried in the big white pyramid at the zoo. I knew he was buried there, but I'd never knew he had a mustache. The kids were very pleased to learn about the man behind (inside) the pyramid. The other exhibit they liked was the "old flag with a hole in it." It was huge, and like 200 years old, hand sewn by like 40 women in less than 24 hours so the soldiers could take it into battle in the Spanish American War, amazing! We were gonna go outside to eat our picnic lunch, but it was pretty hot, and there were "jail birds" (chain gang) working in the park outside, so the kids insisted that we eat in the cafe. We had to go through security to get downstairs to the cafe, and I'd forgotten that my kdis have never been through security. Stanton asked why they were looking in my purse, and I told him they were checking for weapons, which opened up a lot of Noelle commentary..."Mommy, you don't have any weapons! Well, I guess Daddy has a gun. You didn't bring it did you? Oh, and we have an ax, but that's only for camping or cutting trees or killing animals, but only if you are going to eat them cause it's mean to kill them if you don't eat them. We eat chickens. That's okay to eat chickens. Ooo, look at the fancy elevators." It was very hard for me not to laugh. I think almost everything Noelle says is funny (along with Stanton's serious, funny observations under his breathe.) I usually come home and write it down. However, the ultra serious, expressionless security guard didn't find her as darling as I did. She didn't even crack a smile, and she seemed to look in my purse for maybe, a few seconds longer.
After lunch we went to the top floors, where you can sit in the old governor's chair and go in the room where they vote. Then you can make a bill and stick it in a bunch of machines and stamp it with a gold seal and turn it into a law. Stantons bill was "If you litter on purpose you go to jail" and Noelle's bill was "If you're mean to anyone you go to jail." Somehow their bills were found constitutional and they were "passed into law." Winston and I made a bill that said if you eat too much brocolli you go to jail. That one pssed the House and Senate vote but got a big vlack VETO stamp on it by the Governor. I really wish I could make a law that says my kids have to live with me forever so we can always go do fun things together everyday as long as I live! That would be a good law!

3 comments:

mashby said...

You are a blogging FOOL! Love the pics....fun stuff! Someday (SOON!) I'll be able to join in on the fun.....and not just send my child. LOL!! :)

Amy said...

Fun times. Did you know I used to work at the House of Representatives? Some day I need to go back with my kids and do all that fun stuff that I've never done!

Missy said...

You do a great job of finding all the fun places in Arizona! It all sounds so fun! I'm amazed that Winston will just sleep wherever! Dallin has to be in HIS bed if we want a nap to happen:)