Tuesday, March 27, 2012

A Swallowed Tooth, Dinosaur Day and The Renaissance Festival!

Stanton lost his first tooth! It was a monumental day!
I wasn't home when he figured out he had a loose tooth, and kooky as it may be, I cried a whole bunch cause I wasn't there when he realized it (and also cause he's growing up and going to Kindergarten and cause Noelle is almost in a booster and before I know it she'll be married and Winston doesn't seem so babyish anymore and pretty soon he won't even need a pacifier and he and Stanton will be on missions. It's just starting to really hit me that they won't be little forever) but anyway, I was there the next day when Stanton was eating popcorn in the book aisle of Target and he lost his tooth and swallowed it!
The first thing Noelle said was, "Ew. Does he have to put his poop under his pillow for the Tooth Fairy?" Then she said, "That's gross. Sorry I said that."
I think I made too big of a fuss over how cute he looked with his missing tooth and how funny it was that he swallowed it because he said, "Okay, can we just stop talking about it?"
I tried to stop talking about it, but I couldn't cause he just looked too cute!
He was very happy the next morning when he found $2 in a fancy blue satchel under his pillow.
After the lost tooth, we did a fun experiment I found on a beloved little website called Pinterest. We blew up balloons with a water bottle and baking soda and vinegar.
It was so cool! They were clapping and cheering.
We just kept blowing up balloon after balloon cause it was so fun to watch!
It even worked with balsamic vinegar and baking powder. Our hypothesis was correct.
A couple days later we had Dinosaur Day!
We woke up and made dinosaurs out of playdough. I was pretty pleased with how my green and yellow giraffe/dog-looking Brontosaurus turned out!
Then we used our culture pass to the Dinosaur Museum. We hadn't been there in a while, so it was fun to go again.
Winston's favorite part was the panning for gold. I think between the 4 of us, we found .08 cents worth.
That night, we had a special dinosaur dinner with Daddy and Grandma and Grandpa. Noelle set the table, pretty much all by herself.
The 2nd favorite activity of the day was using hammers and screwdrivers to excavate the little dinosaurs that I froze in a block of ice. Now Stanton wants to be an archeologist.
Noelle still wants to be a ballerina-astronaut, or a cop.
Then we made dinosaur feet and stomped around the family room. Everyone kept falling.
And after all of my preparations, their #1 favorite activity of the night was the game Robert came up with in 2 seconds...Tryranosaurus Wrestling.
All of the dinosaur themed activities that I stayed up until midnight planning, were not even nearly as fun as pushing each other down with tiny arms.
And on Saturday, Daddy got us free tickets to the Renaissance Festival. I think we might have had a good time????
I still haven't decided.
It started out nice. Noelle hit some rubber frogs.
I learned how to stick juggle.
Winston drank a lot of lemonade during the fire-eating demonstration, and then even more lemonade during the whip cracking demonstration.
And Stanton and Robert did some archery.
So far, so good. It was just as fun as I'd remembered it. Until...

THIS GUY.
We laughed when we walked through the fairy-tale castle full of strange princess-ish manequins and weirdly creepy trolls and goblins.
We shrugged our shoulders when we walked by the shirt-less men in velvet pants pouring water bottles all down their knee-length hair.
We discretely took pictures of the family wearing masks with falic bird noses, and we got a kick out of the cackling "princess" who left Noelle speechless.
However, when the devilish jester with spikes on his face and a shark on his parts put his arm around me, we decided it was probably time to leave.
Of course, we got a picture (for memory's sake) but we headed home immediately after that.
So, in a nutshell, I would say we had a good time at the Renaissance Festival, I think? If nothing else, it was a memorable experience, but our tickets are up for grabs for next year.

5 comments:

mashby said...

Oh NOOOOO, the Renaissance Festival!!!!! Do you now know my thoughts on that place?! Good thing your kids are too little to realize that everyone is weird!! Dinosauring around looks fun though! Oh, and Max LOVED looking at that picture of Stanton and the lost tooth on Facebook...like LOVED it!! He thought it was so funny!

Annie said...

You guys always have so much fun!!

Nikki said...

As usual your posts have me in tears.....of laughter! Oh my gosh...a shark where!??!!! UGH!! Dinosaurs in an ice block...brilliant. Will so have to do that. I think I'll throw some dirt in with the water into a tupperware before I freeze it. Most the dirt will probably sink to the bottom but that's okay, we'll just flip the block over so dirt side is up. Great idea! Thanks for the inspiration. And yes...it seems wrestling always takes 1st place over anything else we plan! Haha.

BabyWilt said...

That Renaissance festival looks creepy-weird!!
Jared my eldest lost his first in an apple ... we didn't look for it either, we left a letter for the tooth fairy under his pillow :-)

tricia said...

Kim, I want to be just like you. Do your kids know how lucky they are to have the funnest mom in the world? I miss you and your darling family!!