Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Museums, Baby Chicks and Geocaching...part 2!

We got a culture pass to the Scottsdale Museum of Contemporary Art, so we brought a picnic lunch and headed over to the Civic Center (I spent a lot of time there when I was little so it's very nostalgic for me to bring my kids there) to climb on some statues and look at some art.
Turns out, it wasn't art, at least in my opinion, or in Noelle's very loud, honest opinion either.
There was one big room full of plain brown lunch bags turned upside down, three lamps sitting on a table with one knocked over and a microphone stand with a hairbrush stuck in it.
Now, I am very easy to please (Nicholas Cage is my favorite actor for goodness sakes. I don't have extremely high standards.) But that is not art! I have a very liberal idea of what qualifies as art, but lunchbags, lamps and hairbrushes. I don't get it!
And neither did Noelle. The fancy folk analyzing the position in which the hairbrush was placed in the microphone stand apparently saw something that we didn't. Noelle just kept saying, "I could make this. This isn't art. This is junky. My art is better, huh."
I had to agree.
It was fun though, and the doorman gave them a oragami robots, so that made it all worth it.
Stanton went through a short, little phase of listening to the Harry Potter book on c.d. He would dress up in his costume and open the book to a random page and stare at it, while he listened to the story on c.d.
I wish he hadn't grown out of that phase because he looks really cute with glasses and a lightning scar.
We gave geocaching another try. Robert's GPS on his phone wasn't working, which didn't really matter anyway because I don't even understand all of that coordinants mumbo jumbo. However, the maps and directions were really specific this time, and it was really close to our house, so I was sure we would find it.
Plus, we had Winston to point us in the right direction, and he was actually right. It was supposed to be under that bridge.
Halfway to the bridge, our fearless leader Winston just plopped down in the grass to relax. It was the funniest thing ever. He just kicked back and took a little break.
We ended up finding a tunnel under the bridge, and it was super creepy! We walked pretty deep into it, but once I saw the white bug eggs nesting in the corners and Winston ended up with a cob web in his hair, we had to turn back.
Sorry geocaching, finding the treasure is not worth catching Hepatitis.
I am pretty brave, but that place gave me the heeby-jeebies!
Stanton and Noelle were a little disappointed that we didn't find it, but they kept saying, "At least we found the first one."
That's right, at least we found the first one...
Anyway, our disappointment didn't last long because we found these blowy weed things that I have been telling them about that I used to love when I was their age and I lived in Minnesota, so that distracted us from our defeat. I also taught them how to rub dandelions on your nose to look like butter, so I told them it was kinda like we found our own treasure.
The next day our friend Liz took us to the Phoenix Children's Museum, which was so fun cause we hadn't been there since Winston was a teeny baby. And we just happened to go on the day that the Tooth Fairy was there, putting on a puppet show and giving out toothbrushes and floss.
Winston loved painting the rocket ship, while Noelle painted with watercolors and Stanton made a magazine collage.
We had such a great time! Thanks Liz!

And the other big news for the Curry kids is that one of the chickens Winston chases had chicks. He was beyond happy to chase the babies that couldn't out run him. He doesn't want to touch them. He just likes to get really close and peep back at them. I don't know what's more adorable than baby Winston with baby chicks! Spring has sprung!

3 comments:

Laurie said...

Kimmie, I love you. And your blog. The end.

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

i seriously love reading about all the super fun stuff you do! youre so awesome! and i was pretty excited to hear the chicken had babies!! i love this time of year! :)

Bracken and Bracken said...

Um, I really want a picture in front of the giant LOVE, is that inside or outside the museum?!?!?!