Friday, May 13, 2011

Sea Lions, Donny Osmand and Blanket Forts!

Robert went on his first business trip...to Seaworld! Their show was live there on Friday so Robert got to go with Paul Horton and field produce. He had such a great time, and now he can add sea lion to his long list of awesome animals that he has gotten to pet!
We went to Kiwanis Wave Pool, and Winston got to try on swim trunks for the first time. He loved the water! Kiwanis is one of my favorite places to go, so I'm glad he liked it too! We have a tradition of going to eat at Someburros afterwards, and Winston got to try a cheese crisp for the first time, which he gobbled up. It was a big day for such a little guy!
We celebrated Uncle Alex's 19th birthday with him. We made his card out of Legos, which he thought was very cool, until we asked for the Legos back. He leaves for his mission to Denver, Colorado in July, and he has no idea just how much we are going to miss him, SO MUCH!
Mother's Day was wonderful, thanks to Robert and the kids. Stanton's pre-school did a special program for all of the mom's. They sang and danced. Actually all of the other kids sang and danced around Stanton while he just stood there with a very serious look on his face. He's not a performer. Standing there is his thing. It's cute!
Then he gave me a rose and a portrait he made of me. It was like looking in the mirror. He even got my green eyes right.
On actual Mother's Day Robert made me a special breakfast and dinner, and he and Noelle sang "Mother Dear I Love You So" complete with all of the actions. Robert played to Stanton's strengths and gave him the part in that program of standing there and shooting the cap gun at the end of the song. The whole thing was darling!
We met Donny and Marie Osmand! I don't really know much about them, other than she sells porcelain dolls that resemble herself and he was Jospeh in my favorite play, "The Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat," and he is also the voice of the tough guy in Mulan. Now despite Stanton's dislike for singing, the one song he loves to sing, almost daily, is that tough guy song from Mulan. He says it's always stuck in his head, so he walks around singing, "Let's get down to business...I'll make a man out of you!"
So I had to take him! (Plus, I respect Mulan as a Disney princess. She's very underrated.) I got the kids all excited. Noelle even put on her kimono, but changed at the last second because she was worried that everyone would think she really was Mulan.
I didn't think there would be too many people there. I thought Donny could serranade Stanton, maybe even throw in a few ninja moves to make it more like the movie. I pictured a little singing and dancing in the aisles. I even thought of inviting him to lunch with us at Subway afterward. He's got to eat. We're fun! Why not? Robert warned me that he was probably going to be very busy and I was going to be very disappointed, just like the Ron Hoon fiasco with my Dad at the State Fair when I was 12. (Dont think Ive forgotten Ron!)
Turns out Robert was right. Walmart had security everywhere, and hundreds of people had been lined up waiting to see him since 4am. I was about to leave because I wouldn't wait in a line like that for anything, but then I saw a gal from our ward at the very, very front of the line. I offered to take her picture for her with Donny, and voila...we were at the front of the line too. We waited for about 3 minutes! Although Donny was very smiley and nice, there was no singing, dancing or ninja moves on his part, even though I said very loudly in front of him to Stanton, "Wouldn't it be great if he could sing the Mulan song." Still, no singing.
Channel 5 was there live, and our "cousin" Paul Horton called us and said he arranged for us to meet Donny privately, but we were already home doing a painting project. Thanks a bunch for the hook-up though "Cousin" Paul!
And here is our project. We built it from scratch. It was just a bunch of wood pieces and nails, and we built them and painted them ourselves for both grandmas.
Mr. Winston is almost 9 months now, and he has learned to pull himself up onto things. Just for record keeping purposes, he sat up and army crawled at 5 months. (He still doesn't crawl regular. He only army crawls. He's fast! It's very cute.) He has 8 teeth, 7 of which came in at 5 months. He loves making bubble noises, and he's trying very hard to swallow tiny objects! He puts everything in his mouth! Just today, I fished out a cherry stem, a toy earring and a Tinkerbell shoe, and my house is pretty clean. He has to look very hard to find these things.

And this morning we made a blanket fort and ate breakfast in it. Stanton and Noelle were pretending to be polar bears. They said I was the worker, and I had to throw their food to them so they couldn't bite me. I complied, which was not a good idea cause I got cream cheese on the carpet, but oh well. Then we played Candyland and read "Where the Wild Things Are." We were having great fun, until Noelle decided she was cold and took her blanket down. Game over.
I love having kids!

3 comments:

Mahers said...

FUN!!!

Michael said...

why did Don man and Marie come to Wal-mart...

Steve + Brindy Arnett said...

so robert has the coolest job that he gets to meet all these animals! i totally want to meet a sea lion! [but not while im swimming in the ocean cause that would just freak me out!;)]