Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Robert's 30th Birthday Celebrations!

This isn't Rob. This is Johnny, former high school all star quarter-back, prom king and current Mayor (soon to be Governor) of our good town!
For Robert's 30th birthday we had an eighties themed mystery dinner party a couple weeks ago!
It was a 1981 (the year he was born) high-school reunion, and we had to figure out who killed David, the former high school yearbook editor, just two days prior.
So we invited Robert's bosom buddies and family members, and forced them to dress in 80's garb! (D.I. made a fortune off of this party.)
Everyone's costumes exceeded our expectations! People looked fabulous and ridiculous!
Robert's little brother Alex was Harry Hyde, a paranoid individual who thinks aliens are out to get him. He won the prize for best acting. He would duck and hide under things when you'd least expect it, scratch and tap on the windows and yell out nonsense at random. He was fantastic! Plus, he taped a ton of fake hair to his chest, so he really went all out.
Laurie was Jenna Feline, an eccentric heiress, who was obsessed with her cats, all 200 of them! She played the part SO well! Somehow she managed to sneak a cat comment into every conversation, while showing off her cat photo album she brought.
Okay, Mike and Mollie (best costume winners) were more than terrific as rock stars, Linda and Lenny! They even gave an impromptu performance in the middle of the party! Oh, and one time Lenny just dipped Linda and started making out with her, in true rock star fashion!
Tim and Melissa were Mike and Mary, and I must say, Melissa rocked that side pony tail and one piece pant suit! Her shirt and pants were attached!
Billy and Kati were such a cute 80's duo, and they played their characters perfectly! They were small business owners (but really undercover CIA) and Billy was a true blue supporter of Johnny for Governor! He would loudly announce, at every opportunity, how nobody was as good as Johnny!
Lynnae (who we didn't even recognize when she walked in) looked just like Olivia Newton John from Grease! I tried to get her to say, "Tell me about it stud" from the movie.
She won the other "Best Costume" prize! And I'm pretty sure Joe borrowed his shirt from a cast member of "Saved by the Bell!" It was outrageous!
Mike Ashby with a mustache (and Mari's purple eye shadow, still to come) was a definite highlight for me! They were Steven and Susan, extremely wealthy , with six children. They brought pictures of their mansion and their kids with their kids' nannies, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. I had suggested to Susan at the party that she get her tubes tied, which she said she already had, but later in the kitchen Steven mentioned to me that Susan was pregnant with triplets, so I spread the rumor tat they weren't his.
Lance's character was great too. He was an absent minded English professor, who would just walk away or start talking about something completely random in the middle of your conversation. It was so fun to see people's great acting skills!
Oh boy, Stacy and (the real)Johnny were Carol and Charles, the detectives there, investigating the murder, but Charles also had a beef with my fake Johnny (Rob) ever since high school because he was the quarter back of the rival team, and he had to sit out the state championship game due to a car accident, where his legs were crushed. We didn't think he'd ever walk again!
I'm telling you, Stacy and Johnny were awesome detectives because I got nervous in real life every time they questioned me. They were so intense! They were perfectly cast for the part! It was awesome!
There's Mari and her eyeshadow! And Tara, who played Maria, a girl who had been my friend since grade school, until she started dating Mark senior year. He was from the wrong side of the tracks, and I couldn't be friends with her if she was going to stoop so low! Now that her husband Mark (Ryan) was a famous author, I apologized for calling them "Trash" and not attending their wedding!
Laurie continued throughout the night talking about her "babies," the cats, and Rob's cousin Alicia, analyzed us all in every conversation because she was May Flowers, the psychologist.
I wish I had a picture of everyone up close cause they all looked so eighties, and acted so different from their normal selves. It was a blast!
I was Jenny, high school sweethearts with Johnny and head cheerleader and prom queen.
I even made up a cheer that I did for everyone, twice,
" 2-4-6-8-10-12-14-16-18-20! Everybody vote for Johnny!" Then I reminded everyone how Johnny had led our team to state, which pretty much qualified him to lead our great state!
My character booklet told me to be mean and stuck-up all night long. I actually came up with really good insults and I acted so snobby, but I felt SO guilty. I considered calling each person personally after the party to apologize for my rude remarks!
I got a few rude comments back too though, so I wasn't the only one dishing them out. Mark (Ryan) told me that he'd always thought my cheers suck, and Ally's character made her dislike for my character very clear. She was a disturbed, brooding artist. She sketched most of the night. And Robert's sister,Adrienne was a psychic, who kept telling everyone that I gave out bad vibes! It turns out that she was right because most people voted that I was the murderer, but I wasn't!
IT WAS JOHNNY, MY HUSBAND!
He had been casually mentioning my temper all night long, and everybody bought it! Not a single person voted for him as the murderer! It turn out he had also purposely caused the car accident that crushed Charles' legs back in high school! Scandalous!
It was so much fun! I wish they made those mystery dinner kits for larger groups so we could have invited all of our friends because it was a blast! I will definitely be having one again!
Robert has had curly hair his entire life, and I have always loved it!
A couple days before his birthday, he decided to shave it off because he says he lost the "Battle of the Bald." I was so sad to say goodbye to his curls, but...
I love his new look! He looks so cute with his head shaved! I told him I would think he was hot even if he had a mullet, but I really do love his new shaved head!
Yesterday was his actual birthday, so we had a family swim party/bbq with his siblings and cousins. Here he is, officially age 30!
It was cousin Alicia's birthday too, so we celebrated both! Thank you Sprinkles for the dozen free cupcakes!
Then Robert opened his present, which was wrapped in a blanket and tied with Noelle's hair bow cause I couldn't find the tape. He got the pizza grill set he has been wanting.
I also made him a 70 page book of memories from over his life with pictures and memories and nice thing that tons and tons of people wrote about him from over the years! He loved it, and he even shed a little tear. Mission accomplished!
Happy 30th Birthday Honey! Soulmates! I love you!

8 comments:

Amy said...

How fun! LOVE all the costumes!

Rob and Alexa said...

Fun Party! Happy Birthday Robert!

Myra said...

THIS makes me want to move back to AZ. That party looked so much fun, and made me miss all of you guys. What great friends/people in Arizona. Happy Birthday Rob!

mashby said...

Oh my goodness - I am dying laughing at all the pictures! You got some great ones! These pictures actually didn't make my eyeshadow look as bad as it really was - way to go!! :) Super fun and you really did play your part perfectly. Mike and I decided we should have voted for you for best actress. I don't think I can forgive you for spreading those rumors though......YOU might be the next victim!! :) Bah ha ha!!

Bracken and Bracken said...

Such a fun looking party!! It must have been so hard to pick best costume because everyone looks fantastic!! I especially love that mari actually looks like a 16 year old high schooled from the 80's :)
Lovin rob's new hairdo!! Happy birthday rob :)

Laurie said...

Kimmie, I never once thought you were being over-the-top or mean in your insults. ... Maybe that is because I am like a cat (superior) and saw and respected that same better-than-you-and-everyone-else-you-know quality in you. :-)

Honestly, it was a super fun party (it's always a good time with the Currys!). Thanks again for organizing and planning such a fun party for Rob! I'm sure his actual birthday was a ton of fun, too! I love you guys!

Julie said...

Happy Birthday Rob!!!

Nikki said...

That has to be by far the COOLEST party EEEEVVVVEEEERRRR! Oh my goodness I miss you all so much! SO much fun! I didn't know Rob and I were born the same year! Is his birthday the 22nd? Mine is the 23rd! Here's to the next decade...may it be even more fun :)