One of my favorite memories of Harriet is when she told me she had a little crush on an old gentleman in our ward named Merlin. She would talk about how handsome he was, and how she got butterflies every time she saw him.
So at one of our ward Christmas parties, there was music and dancing, and there was also Harriet and Merlin, so I peer pressured him into asking her to dance, so he spun her around in her wheel chair and pushed her around the floor to the music, and when she got back to our table she said, "Oh, oh, I need more oxygen. I'm in the red." So Robert turned up her oxygen, and then she went on and on about how wonderful her dance was and how Merlin literally took her breathe away!
http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif
Another cute memory I have of Harriet is from her baptism. The chair they put in the water for her floated right up to the top, and she floated right up with it.
I also remember Christmas caroling to her house, and when she opened her door, she stood there and sang and sang right along with us. I think we sang too many songs though cause when she got back in her wheelchair she had to turn up her oxygen again.
I am very grateful to have known Harriet. She was a dear friend, and I loved her. I know that she is in a wonderful place right now, no longer sick or in pain. I like to picture her up in Heaven hanging out with my Dad and my Grandma Mae and and Uncle Scott and all of the other people that I miss and care about.
I am more thankful than I could ever express for the Gospel of Jesus Christ and for the complete knowledge and happiness that it brings me every single day of my life. I know, I don't wonder or hope, I know that families can be together forever and that we will be reunited with loved ones that we've lost, and to me, there is no blessing greater than that.
If you have any memories about Harriet, please post them. She was always very flattered to know that people thought of her.
7 comments:
The last time I took Stella to visit her, Harriet and I were talking while Stella was writing on something (probably an important document). Stella interrupted us to give the letter to Harriet which said something like, "Dear Harriet, I think you are so beautiful and I love you so much. Love, Stella." Harriet just started crying and gave her a hug.
She would always point out the random color pages Stella would make for her that she would hang on her door when we visited.
Harriet would always say "I love you" before I left from a visit. The first time it made me cry because I realized how much people need to hear it back! And I did love Harriet!
Harriet would always request a song from Stella when we visited. The last one Stella sang was "Come Follow Me."
I made cinnamon rolls for Harriet one time. She absolutely raved about them and asked every time I saw her if I could make her more because they were just exactly like the one's her mother used to make. I wonder if her mother was the founder of Pillsbury.
Harriet loved visitors and always made me feel like I was the exact person she wanted to see that day!
I interviewed Harriet for our ward newsletter in November last year. When I asked her if I could interview her, she said, "Oh, I'm just nobody." She was totally wrong. She was a wonderful woman and a great friend. She will be missed.
I didn't know she had passed. As much as she will be missed I'm happy to know she is free from the pain and sickness that troubled her. She was such a wonderful sweet lady. I remember carolling to her as well, but mostly I remember our chats. Not having any more grandparents of my own anymore I loved having some one grandmotherly to talk to. No matter how she was feeling she always had time for a long chat. Those are cherished memories. You will be missed sweet Harriet.
Thank you for posting this, Kimmie. On a day that everything is going wrong, and I am thinking "me, me, me" it is good to remember other people and the importance of our time on this earth.
I too remember Harriet's baptism with fondness. I wasn't sure if she would ever go all the way under. Through persistence and perseverance she made it. I think those are two qualities Harriet had in general in her life.
I also remember a General Conference when we invited a newly baptised Harriet to our house. She talked so much that we didn't get much out of conference. But it was sure a great time.
I wish we could be there for the funeral. We will keep her family in our prayers, and her memory in our hearts.
Thank you for posting pictures in memorial! Oh how we loved Harriet. She was such a sweet lady. Her faith was so strong. I also remember her baptism. The doctors told her not to, that it would be too risky for her health. She wouldn't have it! She knew that being baptized was what she needed to do.
I remember visiting her in the hospital. She was so happy that someone would come visit her. I'm glad that she won't be in any more pain.
Dan had many more special moments with her than me. He was able to help teach her a lot of the new member discussions. He tried to keep up with her even after we moved.
You will be missed Harriet!
I remember taking the young women to visit her for mutual. She told us a few stories, and I remember her telling us about the whole thinking that halloween candy was just for her birthday. She had a great sense of humor and was such a sweet lady!
I am so glad I saw this, and not a month or so later than her passing. I am a mess right now reading all these stories about her and remembering taking her to a few doctors appointments and hospital visits. I know she is such a special lady to withstand all her health and family issues. I remember learning how I want to cherish my parents when they get elderly and need help. I will be there and thanks to Harriet I have a little experience with this. She is just about the sweetest lady I ever met. I am glad to know her and I am better because I did. Harriet, you lived a beautiful life. What a perfect example you are of a loving mother and a dear friend. I hope to be a glimmer of what you were.
Thanks for posting this Kimmie, I hadn't heard that she had passed away. I didn't have too many experiences with Harriet, unfortuneately, but soon after I moved into the ward we took the young women over to visit her and she told story after story of what things were like for her growing up. I don't know how much the young women got out of it, but I loved hearing the stories. She was such a sweet lady.
Post a Comment