It was a very fun filled week! The first thing the kids wanted to do with her was play Arizona Monopoly, and that's just what they did.
We took her to the Children's Museum. Noelle gave moustachey Winston a check-up.
We also made a lot of jellyfish cause we didn't see the sign that said to just make one. There are more jellyfish in our bag. They're really addicting to make.
We also took Grandma to the Unity in the Community festival. It was really fun! We got every stamp in our fake passports, and visited every booth. The girl at the Chile booth was eating Chili's take-out. I told her I thought that was ironic. She did not think so. I should've told her how I was a waitress at Chili's while I was in college, extra ironic!
We also had a lovely lake day! It was the most perfect afternoon, one of my favorites ever!
We found a giant log floating in the lake, and it entertained our entire family for hours! We were all determined to walk across it without falling, easier said than done.
We had a peaceful evening at the Arboretum. It's probably my favorite place in Spokane. It's overwhelming how beautiful it is there!
I love watching the kids find fun in nature! It's so magical to see them creating their own little play world with nothing but sticks, rocks and streams.
Winston on my lap, "fishing" with a reed is just the icing on the cake!
The next day we went to the farm. It was our first time pulling a carrot straight from the ground, and it was unexpectedly exciting. We couldn't stop picking!
We took a break to play in the farm's pea pit. Not only is it fun rolling around in peas, but it's funny to say, "Look, I'm making a pea angel" or "I've got peas on my pants." It makes you giggle no matter who you are!
We picked a crazy amount of peaches. We thought we'd grabbed about 5 or 6 lbs. It was actually 18lbs. We were gobbling up peaches for days!
We brought Grandma to the bridge.
And then we took a little nature walk. We spotted a huge eagle's nest with babies in it!
Winston had his 3rd birthday while Grandma was here! We had a little family party, and he was very happy to pick what movie we went to (he chose Planes) and where we went to dinner (Tomatoe Street.) It was so fun watching him open presents. He gets incredibly excited, and yells, "It awesome! Me love this!"
He melts my heart!
A few days later was my birthday! Grandma had already gone back to Az, but Robert and the kids planned lots of partying to finish off birthday week for me and Winston!
We went to the County Fair in Idaho. We LOVE fairs! It was so fun seeing all of the 4H stuff and the cute little animal races. Now that I know what 4H is, I wonder how on earth was I NOT in it??? I found out that the H's stand for head, heart, hands, health, and they do so many cool projects! I can't believe I missed out on such awesomeness.
The exhibits were really neat too!
Adam the Great was the county fair magician (and an admitted Howey Mandell look alike.) He chose Noelle to come up on stage and be his assistant. She was so cute and brave in front of all those people. As her prize he made her a balloon animal, which made her so happy. Then he stepped on it and popped it, which made her so sad (she barely held back the tears on stage.) Then he put the scraps in a paper bag, crumpled it all up, and made the balloon animal reappear, and she was happy again, very happy! Thank goodness cause I would've had to make my fist disappear in his face had he not remedied that situation.
I should calm down. He was actually a super nice and very entertaining magician. I'm just a little overprotective.
I was pretty happy the fair had one of these! We have tons of different pictures in these funny things. Maybe one day Robert and I will get tired of sticking our heads in them, but today was not that day.
The next day we went on a little day trip. We drove a few hours to a little city called Cashmere, and we went to this awesome pioneer museum. They had Indian artifacts and all sorts of gems and animals, and there was a whole authentic city in outside, with the actual buildings from hundreds of years ago. We went on a scavenger hunt to find all sorts of ancient stuff.
No matter how many times we told him, Winston refused to believe that his well had run dry. He kept pumping and pumping.
There was even a little gold mine.
Next we went down the street to take a tour of a candy factory. They pretty much just make Turkish Delight (like from the Narnia books.) It's like fruit and nuts with covered in powdered sugar. I thought it tasted terrible, but it was fantastic touring the factory and watching it get made. I was fascinated with all of the fancy machines and people in white coats and hair nets.
And because one family picture with hair nets wasn't enough for us, we took another! This was the boiling room.
Then we drove a little ways to Levenworth. It's a German town in Washington. Everything there, including the buildings, food and people are very Germany! It was very COOL, and very hard not to yell, "Ricola" every time the man in liederhosen blew his alp horn.
We went to the Nutcracker Museum, which is now one of my top twenty favorite places on earth! It's only $2 to get in, and it's owned by a little German lady who told our kids to pull her finger (apparently that doesn't mean the same thing in Germany as it does in America.) So she led them around by the finger and gave them a personal little tour of the kid nutcrackers she thought they'd like the best.
I've never seen so many of anything in my life! There were thousands and thousands, every holiday, celebrity, nationality, religion, animal, sport, cartoon character that you could imagine, some huge and hundreds of years old and some tiny. One was only 5 millimeters! There was even Mormon missionary and Joseph Smith nutcrackers! It was like nothing I've ever seen!
Stanton was excited that there was even a Star Wars one. We were all so impressed! The only thing the museum was missing was nuts. If we could've a little pack of peanuts like on the airplane, that would've really put the whole experience over the top!
We went to all sorts of German stores, listened to a German concert in the park and ate bratwurst at Munchen Hause.
We even got a Christmas gurken to hide in our tree, so we can start our own German Christmas tradition.
It was such a fun family day! The car rides on these day trips always turn out to be just as fun as the trip. We played a lot of 20 questions, and Noelle's word was rhubarb leaves. That's impossible to guess! She and Stanton also explained to us why monsters are scarier than aliens, and we listened to Winston sing a lot of really loud songs in funny voices. We're really loving the lake!
1 comment:
Happy Birthday Week Kimmie & Winston! Love to see all the fun things you guys are up to!
Post a Comment