So, last Monday Stanton and Noelle were so excited to finish the gajillion Valentine's they made and to deliver them to the nursing homes. The kids worked really hard the week leading up to Valentine's Day, coloring lots of pictures. Luckily they both LOVE coloring though, so they had fun doing it.
Grandma Mary came with us to the first nursing home, and took them to get happy meals afterwards, which seemed to be like the highlight of the century for them.
The highlight of the century for me was at the second nursing home when one lady handed the colorful heart back to us and said, "I don't want your Valentine. I wanna use the toilet." I could not even stop laughing!
All the rest of the Grandmas and Grandpas were much more excited to be our Valentine! We had a really wonderful time! Noelle even said, "It was the best day ever!"
He kept insisting that the sign with the giant picture of a duck and food with a slash through it meant that we couldn't share our bread crusts with them. Silly boy.
As I was watching them go on the merry-go-round 10 times I got to thinking that I'd gotten so wrapped up in Valentine's Day, that I forgot that my heart also belonged to Arizona's centennial, and I realized I had totally missed an opportunity to celebrate my favorite state's 100th birthday!
So I decided that night we would throw Arizona a belated birthday party!
I suggested that maybe we could plant a tree or something instead, and then Stanton suggested that we pick up all of the trash on Arizona's beaches???
So I took a little break from party planning to explain that Arizona is a beachless desert, but that picking up trash was a good idea.
So, happy belated Birthday Arizona! We picked up 4 pieces of trash, kind of a cheap gift, I know.
Then we went on a little hike.
He was more thrilled than you might think, although he did gently remind me that 3:30pm to him is like 4:30 am to me.
We actually only got about 40 of the candles lit before wax started melting all over the jello. Sorry Arizona.
We also did some Arizona trivia (Daddy got 100%) and we planned a family trip to the Grand Canyon for the distant future. I also tried to get everyone to call me by my Arizona name, which I had found out previously would be "Grapefruit Haboob," but it never really caught on.
It was a lot of fun! I love my family, and I love Arizona, and I love throwing parties, so how could it be anything but a good time!
On Monday after Winston and Noelle's shots, we wanted to do something more fun than just going to the doctor's office, so we went to the park with some friends, and afterwads the four of us moms were brave enough to take 13 kids to Costco. Everyone in the tiny, crowded Costco food court was starring. It was a little chaotic, but they were all really well behaved, if I do say so myself. We even got one compliment on what fine mothers we must be to have so many good kids. Agreed! (:
There was a recipie for fry bread in the back, so we tried to make gingerbread man shaped fry bread.
They ended up looking more like burnt turtles than gingerbread men and tasting more like garbage than fry bread, but it was fun trying, and stinking up the house in the process. Robert told me that even our bed smells like burnt oil, which he says is really impressive because our room is upstairs, on the other side of the house.
Hats off to the Hopis because making fry bread is a serious talent! It is way harder than it seems! I think I will just stick to making toast.
4 comments:
I'm always so exhausted after reading about your adventures, but I love it. My only suggestion is that next time you all go out together with all the Moms and 13 kids, that you tell people you are sister wives and see what their response it. I do love some good shock value comments.
I was wondering if you guys made your big batch of valentines this year. That is hilarious about the using the toilet comment from the lady at the nursing home!
Fry bread is a lot of work, so I must give you props, especially when trying to form it into a gingerbread shape:)
You guys are such fun people - we miss you!
I can always count on your posts being hilarious....You have so much fun every day!!
Post a Comment