Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Turkey Trot 2011

I love Thanksgiving, so I decided to have a turkey trot! Since I didn't really know what a turkey trot entailed, and I'm not super into exercising, it turned out to be more like a big Thanksgiving party! It was fun!
Grandpa Dan dressed up as a turkey!
He chased all the kids around, throwing out candy eggs and gobbling behind them.
He ran pretty far and pretty fast for his age, so fast that his gobbles got a little raspy and labored. He had to take a turkey time-out for a while, but then he was back at it and ran round 2 with the kids again a little later.
After that we played with chickens! Mostly I just played with the chicken. I think they are the funniest animals, and after becoming so buddy-buddy with one, I feel a tiny bit guilty that I eat them.
I held Mr. Pettybones for a long time, until he started squwaking and flapping his feathers for no apparent reason. Then I had to run franticly to put him back down in his cage before I dropped him.
Winston loves chickens too, just like his mama!
Thanks to Lynnae for bringing them, even though they made her van smell like poop!
After that we had snacks and made googly-eyed, construction paper feathered turkey-hand crafts, my favorite Thanksgiving art project!
Then we played gourd-broom hockey. The boys thought it was cool that they hit the gourds so hard they broke in half.
We also played turkey bowling, with Stove Top boxes and a half-thawed cornish game hen. They really liked that game, and a couple kiddos even got a strike!
And then we had the pumpkin pie eating contest. Dallen and Caleb won for the 0-3 year old age divsion! It was impressive how quickly they inhaled that pie and whip cream!
For the 4-7 year old category, it was a close race, but Rachel and Hannah came out on top!
For the older than
7, but younger than the moms age group, Alex and Sam were the champions!
And here we are, the lovely mamas, just seconds before we gobbled up our pie! Ally and Melissa won the grand prize for that round. The grand prize being a bunch of bananas, which I thought they would like better than the other prizes I gave out...turkey stickers.

It was a super fun time, and I was so happy because the kids all played my games and really seemed to like the things I planned. I didn't get to get pictures of all of them because they didn't stand still long enough! They all just had fun just running around together and playing on the playground! It's so great to just watch kids being kids!
And with so many adorable kids and babies and so many of my favorite moms, it couldn't have been a better time!

On the way home, Stanton realized he had missed the pie eating contest cause he was running around with his friends, and he was really disappointed about it, so we stopped at Fry's and got another pie so he could challenge Daddy to a contest when we got home. He liked that!

And thanks to everyone who brought food to the turkey trot to donate to St. Vincent de Paul. We filled up a whole box with food, including the stuffing we bowled with (but not including the half thawed cornish game hen.)
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! I am thankful for every single one of you!

3 comments:

Jenny Lynn said...

I wish we could have made it, it sounded so fun. I may or may not have been at the twilight pre-screening. Don't judge! :)

BabyWilt said...

Lots and lots of gobbling, I love it :-) and I also love my chickens, they are the funniest pets to have and they give me lovely eggs too.

Bracken and Bracken said...

Yet another great kimmie party :) Dallen had a blast and loved looking at the pictures and reliving it! He was with Stanton during the pie eating contest and were both sad we missed it ;) great job again!!