Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Giants, Monster Trucks, and The Chinese New Year!

A few weeks ago we were at the park in Scottsdale, and we saw the entire San Francisco Giants baseball team walk by. So, of course, we introduced ourselves, and took pictures and held their bats. I had just signed Stanton up for Little League T-ball so it was extra exciting! And I also signed Robert up to be the assistant coach and myself up to be the team mom, so they should probably just call it "Team Curry" and make the mascot a chicken or something since we are taking over!
We can't wait for it to start! The other day Stanton kept asking when he gets to go to "Little Italy." I had no idea what he meant. I thought maybe he learned about it in pre-school. I finally figured it out when I asked him if he wanted to go there to eat pizza, and he said, "No, to play T-ball." He meant Little League.
Woo-hoo for a zoo day!
Daddy got free VIP tickets to Monster Trucks, so he and Stanton had a super fun boys night there!
Winston got his first 2 teeth!
And he sat up for the first time at our indoor picnic. He's so talented!
That same day, I caught Daddy playing ponies with Noelle. He was singing "Twinkle Little Star" in a very high falsetto, and then I heard him ask her what Sweetie Bell and Rainbow Dash's cutie marks were. It was the sweetest thing. I just had to take a picture. I couldn't love him more!
We went to the member preview night for the Children's Museum's new fairytale exhibit. It's fantastic! Daddy and Stanton took turns dressing up as a wolf and frightening Little Red Riding Hood, who doesn't scare very easily.
I was the Cheshire Cat.
And Winston practiced his sitting up skills as one of the three little pigs.
The next morning Daddy came home from work early and woke us up and took us out to breakfast in our jammies. It was a fun surprise!
Noelle informed us that she didn't like forks anymore, and she ate her smiley face pancakes without silverware. I know, I know, it's very bad manners, but it was really funny, and sort of impressive. We did put our foot down when she decided that she no longer liked plates and attempted to eat her pancakes straight from the table.
We all went to the Chinese New Year Celebration, and it was very cool! We got our names written in Chinese, and we tried a turnip cake (blagh!) and we watched Chinese dancers and people running underneath the dragon. It was awesome!
We also saw some people doing martial arts, so I said "Look Stanton, they are doing karate!" All of a sudden Robert walked away with the kids really quickly, and I wasn't sure why, until...
One of the teachers turned around and gave me an earful about how I was not at the Japanese cultural center, and they were not doing karate. So I said, "Oh, sorry, tae-kwan-do."
Then he gave me another lecture about how we were not at the Korean cultural center either. By that time I was all out of guesses, so I said, "Look, I'm sorry, I don't know anything about anything, so can you just tell me what it's called."
He told me pretty rudely that it was king-fu.
To which I instantly regretted replying, "Oh, like the panda."
He said, "not like the panda.!" and walked away from me. It was pretty intense.
Robert apologized for abandoning me, but he said that he knew my knowledge of Chinese culture came from Mulan and Kung-Fu Panda, so he couldn't stay to watch the confrontation. Luckily he corrected me ahead of time that the dress I bought Noelle was not a kimono before I embarrassed myself again.
Aside from my ethnic blunders, it was a really, really fun time! I love celebrating other cultures and their holidays and traditions, and I love having a super fun family to do it with!

4 comments:

Missy said...

I can't believe that Winston already has teeth and is sitting up on his own! Holy smokes!
I'm sorry about your confrontation with the kung-fu man, but it sounds like you handled it well. I can't imagine someone getting upset at you like that!
Oh and I love your idea for the 5K run. You always come up with so many fun ideas!

Nikki said...

OH my goodness Kimmie! I'm sorry the man was so rude. You know, I've been to China and they don't have desserts there, not really, so maybe that's why they're a bit update..not enough sweetness in their life. I can't believe how big Winston is already! All three of them are soooooooo cute I just wish I could reach through the computer and squeeze them!!
P.S. Check out my blog, you might like my last post ;)

Nikki said...

oops, I meant to say uptight, not udate :0

Malori said...

The picture of Winston and his teeth is so darn cute!! I love all of the fun things you guys do!!
Those Chinese people were just cranky...don't worry...we love you in spite of your lack of martial arts knowledge!