Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Art and The Currys!

Today we went to the Phoenix Art Museum because it's free on Wednesday nights. Robert and I went there and then to Oregano's on our first date like 7 years ago, and we thought it would be fun to go again with the kids. Noelle argued with Stanton and I that this was a white potato. We kept trying to tell her it was an onion, but she wouldn't listen. I am just now realizing that it's garlic. Either way, I think it would look cute hanging in my kitchen, and I am going to try to paint it.
Robert wanted to see the Ansel Adams exhibit before it left, and I did too, until Robert informed me on the way there that Ansel Adams is not the guy who does the optical illusion/magic eye sort of artwork. Apparently that is M.C. Escher. I had been looking forward to seeing that winding staircase one he did, but instead I saw a bunch of nature pictures. They were nice. Noelle thought Ansel Adams looked like Santa Clause, so she kept asking if the museum had candy canes.
This was my favorite Ansel Adams picture. I love how the blue sky peeks out from behind the leafy tree branches. JUST KIDDING! I took this picture when we took the kids to the museum courtyard "playplace." Although my amateur photographs have been turned down by Arizona Highways Magazine in the past, maybe I will try again with this one.
Speaking of art, I also painted this picture a long time ago. It's on display in our bedroom if you would like to see it.
Noelle liked the dress exhibit. She much preferred these statues to the nude ones without arms that we saw earlier. She was less concerned that they were missing arms and more concerned that they weren't wearing jammies.
Stanton proved that art is subjective because he managed to find a Star Wars connection in almost every single piece of art. He said this was his favorite because it was Han Solo's Millenium Falcon.
He and Noelle actually really loved it there, and they had surprisingly good museum etiquette! They both told me to whisper on several occasions, and Stanton reminded me every time I took a picture that the policeman (museum guide) wants me to turn the flash off on our camera so I don't ruin the paintings.
Other fun things we've done in the last few days...we went to the wave pool, jump and shout, summer movies, and signed up for every library summer reading program in the valley.
We also met Ronald McDonald at the Mesa Library. Aside from creeping me out, he did magic tricks, told jokes, and taught the kids the importance of eating Big Macs and reading books.
We also had a very great time at the mall with Grandma! The fun never ends!

4 comments:

Annie said...

Very cute and fun! You are such a great mom!

Malori said...

I was convinced that your photo was that fancy artist!!!
You guys are always having so much fun!!! And you take the most fun pictures!

Whitney said...

You were right. We need to hang out more. I NEED to be a witness to everything Noelle says because that girl is HILARIOUS!

Missy said...

I am so impressed that your kids didn't run as fast as they could from Ronald McDonald! They are so brave!