Monday, November 9, 2009

My First Rejection Letter!

Let me clarify, I do not want to be a writer. I only wrote and submitted a story to Highlights Magazine because they pay $150 for every story of yours they print, and I wanted the extra money so I could spend it frivolously on a really big fish tank or something. So, just as I was finally healing from having my jokes snubbed by Reader's Digest after all these years, I get a Highlights rejection letter. Here it is:
I have to admit, it was a very kind letter. They even addressed me as "Dear Author" (Now I know how that Stephanie Meyer lady feels.) Not to mention, there were multiple reasons they gave for turning down manuscripts, such as, "It lacks a fresh approach." or "It lacks a strong plot." or "We avoid material that glorifies war, violence or crime." However, I was rejected for the best possible reason, "It is not suited to our present needs."
So, without further au dieu, here is my story... (which is based on a true story but a little embellished. The true part is that we do have a painting of Mt Rushmore that I got from The Goodwill hanging over our fireplace, but Stanton has never asked about it. In fact, he and Noelle often confuse George Washington with Jesus.)

Stanton looked up above the fireplace at the painting that had hung there for years and asked, “Who are those men on that mountain?”
“That is Mt. Rushmore, and carved into it are four of our country’s presidents,” his mother replied, “Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt.”
Stanton continued starring at the painting, wondering to himself what those presidents did to get their pictures carved into a mountain.
Seeing her son’s interest, Stanton’s mother continued, “Would you like to learn more about Mount Rushmore?”
“Oh yes!” Stanton replied eagerly.
His mother began, “Between 1927 and 1941, a man named Gutzon Borglum and about 400 other workers sculpted these 60 foot carvings into the side of Mount Rushmore in South Dakota.”
She pointed up at the picture. “He chose these four presidents: Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln and Roosevelt because he said ‘they commemorate the founding, growth, preservation and development of the United States.’”
Stanton looked confused. “Let me explain.” his mother said.
“George Washington was our country’s first president. He is considered the founder of our nation because he fought for our freedom and led our nation into democracy.”
“Thomas Jefferson was our 3rd president. He wrote the Declaration of Independence, and after he became President, he made the Louisiana Purchase from France, doubling the size of our country and adding 14 states.”
“Abraham Lincoln was our nation’s 16th president. He was president during the Civil War. He preserved the Union by keeping our states together and ending slavery.”
“Finally, Theodore Roosevelt was the 26th president. He furthered the development of the United States by advancing the construction on the Panama Canal and promoting conservation and business.”
Stanton was impressed. “How did they actually carve the faces into the mountain?” he questioned.
“The stone at the surface of the mountain was too soft for carving, and they needed a way to get rid of it. So about 500, 000 tons of rock was removed from the mountain with dynamite. The workers would have to climb a 760 step stairway to get to the top, and when they were up there, they would use jackhammers and drills for their sculpting.” his mother told him.
“They look really big in the painting.” Stanton said.
“They are really big.” His mother replied. “Each president’s nose is 20 ft long.”
“How long is that?” Stanton asked.
“Well, I am a little over 5 ft tall, so that is about 4 of me stacked on top of each other.” she answered. “Any other questions?”
“Yes. Can we go to Mount Rushmore?” Stanton asked.
“Of course!” his mother responded enthusiastically. “I would love to take you there someday.”
“I hope it’s someday soon.” Stanton said.

10 comments:

The Zemp Family said...

You are so knowledgeable. I loved your story!

Myra said...

I LOVE it. As someone who has had PLENTY of rejection letters, I must say, "keep writing." Rejection is just a part of the process. And now you have something for your kids...you should make this into a photo book with pictures, so you have your own book you can read with Stanton. It would be cheap if you did it on Shutterfly or what not.

Shellee said...

I agree with Myra, you should go on ahead and get it shutterfly-ed. They don't know what they're missing... stupid Highlights.

P.S. You did a really great job on your talk the other night.

Missy said...

Great story:) I agree that you should make it into your own book for your kids to enjoy. I admire your determination!

Malori and Jon Saline said...

I think it's a great story - in fact, it's too great for Highlights...!! I hope when my kid asks me questions like that I can answer with so much detail...I learned a ton about Mt. Rushmore that I never knew before so you totally taught me all sorts of stuff!!
I am so impressed that you sent it in!! I have a couple children's stories I have been too terrified to turn into anyone!! You are so so awesome!!!

Nikki said...

You're so brave and awesome! That was a very informative story!

Shelly said...

Keep writing that is a very good story! You left out my favorite part of the history of your painting though - When the guy at Chili's offered you $100 for the painting and you said no!

Kimmie said...

But I still earned $25 for painting him my own contemporary version of the painting where all of the presidents had bright red lips. I wonder if he actually hung it up?????

Rebecca said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your Halloween costumes! So Sorry about the rejection letter. Keep trying!

Laurie said...

Kim, I LOVE YOU! And I loved your story, too. (A lot better than I ever liked anything written by Stephenie Meyer, btw. The ward for Mormon Author of the Year goes to you. Oh, and Myra. Do you mind if you two share it?) I'm bummed for you that Highlights weren't needing a fabulous story all about Mt. Rushmore at the moment - but I'm super glad that you shared it with us. You're so flipping smart, I love that you just know all that stuff about it. Thanks for sharing!

(Oh, and I'd totally shutterfly it, too, for the record. Do it!)